Ross Bryant, Campus Carrier staff writer

The advent of COVID-19 has started an interest in college tuition insurance in case a student has to isolate or quarantine and switch to online-only schooling. 

College tuition insurance is a reimbursement for academic fees, tuition and room and board in the event that a student is no longer able to continue their academic semester. Depending on the insurance plan a student opts for, students can be reimbursed for a significant portion of their college tuition payment. 

In order to receive the tuition insurance money, there are several steps one must follow. Dropping out of the student’s institution does not guarantee that the insurance will reimburse the student 

“To be eligible to collect, students must be assessed by a licensed medical practitioner and obtain a written recommendation to withdraw,” According to an article from money.com. “They can’t simply decide they need to go home.” 

There must be a medical reason for the student to withdraw in order to receive any reimbursement from the insurance Along with medical reasons, students withdraw from school for academic, emotional, financial, or disciplinary reasons. Because of the unique circumstances that have to be present in order for students to qualify for college tuition reimbursement, many students in the past have opted out of using this insurance. 

When you introduce a global pandemic, the conversation shifts. In the distinct case where a student tests positive for COVID-19, and is no longer able to continue their schoolwork, then they may be entitled to financial reimbursement. There is now a more widely applicable use for college tuition insurance than ever before, and families across the country are looking to protect their students college tuition dollars. 

Financial advisor Robert DiGiacomo states in his article for bankrate.com that in some cases, the student might not receive a full reimbursement, even with the tuition insurance. 

“If a student withdraws after the first week, for example, and the college returns 75 percent of the payment, the insurance would cover the remaining 25 percent,” according to the article DiGiacomo wrote. “But some policies do not provide a 100 percent payback if a student leaves because of mental illness or psychological problems.” 

According to Gradguard.com, an insurance company for higher education, Berry does not have its own tuition protection plan, but does have a tuition protection plan that is recommended. Berry does have an exclusive student endorsement with college renters insurance, which helps students protect their school essentials like laptops, smartphones and other personal belongings by offering renters insurance for residence life on campus. 

Tuition insurance alleviates the financial worry that may come when trying to navigate through a pandemic. Although it is too late to apply for college tuition insurance for the fall semester, students could look into it in the coming months if they are interested in having insurance for the spring semester.

Posted by Campus Carrier

Leave a Reply